[R] configure help

Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 19 13:15:11 CET 2006

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Fridolin Wild wrote:

> Hello,
>
> as I just spent a (too long) while searching
> for a way how to persistantly switch back the help display
> routines from chm to text, here a small documentation
> how to do that with the windows version of R.
>
> The windows installer asks which help type
> you want to use, I wanted to test the chm
> version -- which I didn't like.
>
> If you after installation want to switch back,
> you have to edit
>
>    << myRdirectory\etc\Rprofile.site >>
>
> and change the line
>
>    options(chmhelp=TRUE)
>
> back to
>
>    options(chmhelp=FALSE)
>
> It would be nice if -- in a future release -- this
> also could be changed in the GUI settings.

But it has nothing to do with the GUI preferences: it applies to the
command-line version of R as well.

What about ?help did you not understand? It says

           chmhelp = getOption("chmhelp"),
  chmhelp: logical (or 'NULL'). Only relevant under Windows. If 'TRUE'
           the Compiled HTML version of the help on the topic will be
           shown in a help viewer.

so you need to set options(chmhelp=FALSE): it is up to you where you set
it.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk