[R] OT: any recommendation for scripting language

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Sun Dec 24 03:55:00 CET 2006

Wensui Liu wrote:
> Right now, I am using SAS and S+/R. As a new year resolution, I am
> planning to learn a scripting language.
>
> from statisticians' point of view, which scripting language is worth
> to learn, perl, python, or any other recommendation? (Most likely, I
> will be learning it in windows.) Since I am not in research, I will
> prefer one widely used in industry and related to statistical work.
>
> if you recommend one, I will really appreciate it if you could point
> out a good source for learning as well.

Hi Wensui,
I use Tcl-Tk quite a bit. I found it very easy to learn, and as you can
see from the tcl-tk package in R, very flexible. It is particularly good
at spanning the range from a slick-looking GUI to low level file and
computation operations. I'm currently using it to pick individual
records out of a database, calculate age and sex specific deviations
from population norms and then present a graphical display to the user.

There is not only excellent documentation available for Tcl-Tk, but
several newsgroups and wikis.

http://www.tcl.tk

Jim