[R] OT: any recommendation for scripting language

BBands bbands at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 18:12:27 CET 2006

On 12/23/06, Wensui Liu <liuwensui at gmail.com> wrote:
> if you recommend one, I will really appreciate it if you could point
> out a good source for learning as well.

We have found Python to be the perfect choice for our work. Python is
a high-level, cross-platform language that is easy to learn/write with
an extensive set of libraries. It supports object and procedural
programming styles equally well, so one may match the style to the
task. If is also an excellent 'glue' language, easily tying together
diverse programs in various environments.   There is great
connectivity with R though rpy and RSpython. Here are links to some of
the connectors we use:

http://rpy.sourceforge.net/
http://www.omegahat.org/RSPython/
Database
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python
http://www.initd.org/tracker/pysqlite
Graphics
http://gnuplot-py.sourceforge.net/
Windows--COM, DDE...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

The Python tutorial is the place to start:

http://docs.python.org/tut/

     jab
--
John Bollinger, CFA, CMT
www.BollingerBands.com

If you advance far enough, you arrive at the beginning.