[R] OT: any recommendation for scripting language

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 03:05:43 CET 2006

Its easier to write command line filters using perl/python/gawk than R.
Its possible in R but awkward as there is no good way (platform
independent,easy to use) of referring to stdin data.

Something as simple as

gawk 1

which just copies its input to its output is pretty awkward in R.  What
R really needs is the ability to write:

R -f myprog.R < myinput.dat > myoutput.data

and have myprog.R refer to myinput.dat via /dev/stdin .