[R] OT Futility Analysis

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Feb 22 04:44:39 CET 2006

	  What does this particular Steering Committee think a "futility
analysis" is?  Do they have any particular reference(s)?  What do you
find in your own literature review?

	  If it were my problem, I think I'd start with questions like that.
Your comments suggested to me a confounding of technical and political
problems.  The politics suggests the language you need to use in your
response.  Beyond that, I've never heard before of a "futility
analysis", but I think I could do one by just trying to be clear about
the options the Steering Committee might consider plausible and then
comparing them with appropriate simulations -- summarized as confidence
intervals, as you suggest.

	  And I hope that someone else will enlighten us both if there are
better options available.

	  Best Wishes,
	  spencer graves
p.s.  For any attorneys who may read these comments, the suggestions are
obviously warranteed up to the amount you paid for it, which is nothing.
  If you follow them and they turn out to be inappropriate, you will pay
the price.  I encourage you to share the problems with me, so I can
learn from the experience.  However, the limits of my liability are as
already stated.