[R] OT Futility Analysis

Stephen A Roberts Steve.Roberts at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Feb 22 10:47:41 CET 2006

I would take the line that if they hadn't pre-specified any stopping rules, the only reason to stop is safety or new external data. I would be very suspicious of requests from the steering committee to stop for futility - they should be blinded so why are they thinking futility unless results have leaked? I would argue that they are obliged to finish the trial once they start.

This is an example of the need to sort out these things in advance - look up the stuff from the UK DAMOCLES project. The recent book edited by DeMets et al (Data Monitoring in Clinical Trials: A Case Studies Approach) is a good read on these sorts of issues and I think there is a more statistical book from the same group of authors.

 As far as software is concerned, futility analysis and conditional power are simply standard analyses with made up data and more-or-less justifiable assumptions.

Steve.