[R] OT Futility Analysis

Kevin E. Thorpe kevin.thorpe at utoronto.ca
Wed Feb 22 17:57:16 CET 2006

Thank you Spencer and Steve for your helpful comments.  If I may, I
would like to elaborate on some of the points you raise.

Stephen A Roberts wrote:
> I would take the line that if they hadn't pre-specified any stopping
> rules, the only reason to stop is safety or new external data. I
> would be very suspicious of requests from the steering committee to
> stop for futility - they should be blinded so why are they thinking
> futility unless results have leaked? I would argue that they are
> obliged to finish the trial once they start.

In general I agree with this.  In this case the request for a futility
analysis came from the sponsor (a drug company).  It is a classic case
of company B buys company A and wnats to stop R&D on company A's drugs.
Therefore the company was looking for a reason to stop.  Now that they
will stop producing the drug used in the trial, recruitment will end
before reaching its target.  Now the Steering Committee's point of
view is that if there is any reasonable hope, they would find some
other way to continue recruitment.  I am confident that results have
not leaked.  I am well aquainted with the data management and blinding
procedures in place for the trial.

> This is an example of the need to sort out these things in advance -
> look up the stuff from the UK DAMOCLES project. The recent book
> edited by DeMets et al (Data Monitoring in Clinical Trials: A Case
> Studies Approach) is a good read on these sorts of issues and I think
> there is a more statistical book from the same group of authors.

Thanks for the reference.  My library has it, so will give it a look.

> As far as software is concerned, futility analysis and conditional
> power are simply standard analyses with made up data and more-or-less
> justifiable assumptions.

I am also interested if there are good alternatives to conditional
power for this type of scenario.

> Steve.
>

>> What does this particular Steering Committee think a "futility
>> analysis" is?  Do they have any particular reference(s)?  What do
>> you find in your own literature review?
>>
>> If it were my problem, I think I'd start with questions like that.
>> Your comments suggested to me a confounding of technical and
>> political problems.  The politics suggests the language you need to
>> use in your response.  Beyond that, I've never heard before of a
>> "futility analysis", but I think I could do one by just trying to
>> be clear about the options the Steering Committee might consider
>> plausible and then comparing them with appropriate simulations --
>> summarized as confidence intervals, as you suggest.

I did ask REPEATEDLY for guidelines from the steering committee, but
none came or are likely to come.  In fact, they wanted me to come up
with the recommendation, which I find entirely inappropriate, but here
I am.  So, I don't think I'm confounded between techincal and political.

Basically, they want to stop if there is a low chance of rejecting the
null hypothesis.  This is often referred to as conditional power or
stochastic curtailment.  I recently saw a paper by Scott Emerson
pointing out some problems (interpretation, relation to unconditional
power).

As far as references, I have used a book by Jennisen and Turnbull in
the past, but, as I recall, with the exception of stochastic
curtailment, it assumes the trial was designed with group sequential
methods.  I have also just found a 1988 Biometrics paper by Lan and
Wittes on the B-value which I will read.

--
Kevin E. Thorpe
Biostatistician/Trialist, Knowledge Translation Program