[R] Workspace size

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 5 12:25:40 CEST 2006

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006, statwi01 wrote:

> Can I determine the approximate size of a workspace on the harddisk
> before saving it via "sys.save.image(name)" ?

No.  (Also, it depends on the options in force: saved images can be ASCII
or binary or compressed or not, and it is impossible to predict how
well compression will work: it can be very effective.)

And please note what the help page says:

      Internal functions in the base package, which are only
      user-visible because of the special nature of the base namespace.

      'sys.save.image' is a system function that is called by 'q()' and
      its GUI analogs; 'sys.load.image' is called by the startup code.
      These functions should not be called directly and are subject to
      change.

      'sys.save.image' closes all connections first, to ensure that it
      is able to open a connection to save the image.  This is
      appropriate when called from 'q()' and allies, but reinforces the
      warning that it should not be called directly.

so please don't use it.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk