[R] R 2.3.1 on Mac OSX: apply a function to 'dist()' ?

Hans-Joerg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Wed Jul 5 17:37:15 CEST 2006

Dear Sarah,

many thanks for the hint.

Unfortunately my distance metric is more complex. For me it is not
only important to know whether there is a change between rows but
also to know where (which column) the change occurs and furthermore
to know if there is a change in e.g. column 5 to look at column 144
etc. in order to be able to calculate a kind of weighted distance
matrix.
I doubt that it would be possible to decompose my metric into some of
the common manipulations(?)

Albeit I had a look at the package ecodist (many thanks for that, now
I can solve an other problem ;) ). Based on this mechanism of
decomposing I will adopt this idea to prepare some subfunctions
written in C which could be combined to solve a specific problem.
Doing so other users can modify these a bit easier (I hope).

But nevertheless I still have a speed problem!

Best regards,

Hans