[R] Colinearity Function in R

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Jul 6 15:06:25 CEST 2006

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:
> Dear Peter,
>
> I especially like the VIF (and GVIF) functions in package car, by John Fox.
> (I'm assuming you are dealing with [generalized] linear models).
>
> HTH,
>
> R.

And even though ignoring Y prevents you from seeing the whole picture,
redundancy analysis of X can help you do data reduction in an unbiased
way to build reliable models.  The transcan and varclus functions in the
Hmisc package help in this way.  transcan will show you the maximum R^2
that can be obtained in predicting each predictor from all others, using
a spline generalized additive model.  varclus draws a variable
clustering dendogram.

Frank Harrell