[R] optim()

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Jul 22 07:54:56 CEST 2006

	  1.  I'd be worried any time the answer depended very much on the
starting values.  It suggests that the objective function is not well
behaved, and I must be very careful to make sure I get an appropriate
answer, and I'm not being misled by round-off, etc.

	  2.  I would NOT use a constant penalty;  I'd start with a small
constant penalty, then increase it gradually until I had a solution that
honestly satisfied the constraints.

	  3.  Alternatively, you could use Lagrange multipliers by redefining
your objective function and including the Lagrange multiplier(s) as
other paremeter(s) to be estimated.  That sounds like a sensible idea,
but I have no experience trying that.  I would expect it might work fine
provided the objective function with constraints were all differentiable
and sufficiently smooth to admit only one optimum.

	  4.  However, I believe you will gain more insight into the problem by
trying to reduce the number of unknowns rather than increase them.  For
example, I noted in my earlier reply that your constraints are
equivalent to f1 = r12*f2, with r12 = r12 = (1-c)*k1/(c*(1-k1) = a
constant determined from known constants in your previous problem
statement.  If it were my problem, I might focus on trying to use this
constraint to determine one of (p1, p2, p3) as a function of the other
two.  For example, for what combinations in the (p1, p2) space is there
a single, unique solution, when is there 0 and when are there 2, 3, or
more?

	  To accomplish that, I might use 'expand.grid' to generate many
different combinations of (p1, p2) and then use 'optim' to minimize SSD
= (f1-r12*f2)^2 over variations in p3.  (Of course, if it were easier to
solve for p1 or p2 in terms of the other two, I might do that.)  For
each combination of (p1, p2), I'd store the resulting values of SSD, p3,
and f1.  Then if any of the SSD values were numerically greater than 0,
I'd worry about those cases.  Otherwise, I'd look at contour and
perspective plots of p3 and f1 vs. p1 and p2 to try to generate some
insight into this problem -- and perhaps generate a simple way to solve
for p3 and f1 from p1 and p2.

	  Make sense?
	  Hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves