[R] RODBC on linux

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Thu Jul 27 03:56:49 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 17:52 -0400, Armstrong, Whit wrote:
> Anyone out there using Linux RODBC and unixODBC to connect to a
> Microsoft SQL server?
>
> If possible can someone post a sample .odbc.ini file?
>
> I saw a few discussions on the archives a few years ago, but no config
> file details were available.
>
> Thanks,
> Whit

Whit,

Do you have a Linux ODBC driver for SQL Server?  unixODBC is simply the
driver manager, not the driver itself.

MS does not offer (not surprisingly) an ODBC driver for Unix/Linux.
There are resources available however and these might be helpful:

http://www.sommarskog.se/mssql/unix.html

Note that Easysoft provides (at a cost) an ODBC-ODBC bridge for
Unix/Linux platforms which supports ODBC connections to SQL Server:

http://www.easysoft.com/products/data_access/odbc_odbc_bridge/index.html

I am using RODBC to connect from a FC5 system to an Oracle 10g server
running on RHEL, however Oracle provides the ODBC driver for Linux that
can work with the unixODBC facilities.

Also, note that there is a R-sig-DB e-mail list: