[R] RODBC on linux

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jul 27 04:38:05 CEST 2006

On 26 July 2006 at 20:56, Marc Schwartz wrote:
| On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 17:52 -0400, Armstrong, Whit wrote:
| > Anyone out there using Linux RODBC and unixODBC to connect to a
| > Microsoft SQL server?
[...]
| Do you have a Linux ODBC driver for SQL Server?  unixODBC is simply the
| driver manager, not the driver itself.
|
| MS does not offer (not surprisingly) an ODBC driver for Unix/Linux.

But there is the FreeTDS project (package freetds-dev in Debian) with its
associated ODBC drive (package tdsodbc, from the FreeTDS sources). At some
point a few years ago, a colleague and I were trying to coax that and
unixOBDC to let R (on Solaris) talk to Sybase (on Solaris) and got it to
work.  MS-SQL is (AFAIK) a descendant of Sybase code originally licensed by
MS, hence the common FreeTDS code lineage).  So it should be doable.

Luckily I haven't needed to talk to MS SQL myself so the usual grain of salt
alert...  And sorry, hence no working .odbc.ini to share.

Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison