[R] Nesting in Cox proportional hazards survivorship analysis

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Thu Jun 1 00:31:26 CEST 2006

The site/station syntax is mainly useful for situations where you have
the same station id's withing different sites (e.g. there is a station
#1 in site #1 and also a different station still labeled #1 within site
#2).  It is unclear whether you really need the /station part or not (it
generally does not hurt if you include it and it is not needed).  To
take into account the heterogenity you can add +cluster(site) or
+cluster(station) to the model to tell it that there is correlation
within sites or stations (see the help on cluster and possibly on
frailty).

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.