[R] logistic regression enquiry

Bob Green bgreen at dyson.brisnet.org.au
Sun Jun 4 12:39:29 CEST 2006

I am hoping for some advie regarding the following scenario.

I have data from 26 studies that I wanted to analyse using logistic
regression. Given the data was from studies and not individuals I was
unsure how I would perform this in R.  When analysed in SPSS, weighting was
used so that each study was included twice. Where "use" occurred,  a value
of 1 was assigned and was weighted by the value for the variable
"positive". In  the second instance, where use did not occur a value of 0
was assigned and was weighted by the variable "negative". Taking the first
study below, use = 1 would be weighted by 28 and use =0, it would be
weighted by 117 (the total study N =145). If this data is scrambled in
transmission I can send a csv version.

My questions:

1. is change required to the data format or is modification of the usual
code required?
2. what is the best R package for performing logistic regression?

Any assistance is much appreciated

regards

Bob Green

In SPSS, each study was included  I weighted the , though am unsure how I
would format the data

medyear	where	who	dxbroad	firstep	standard	age	sex	positive	negative
89	3	2	1	0	0	31.5	71	28	117.00
98	2	2	1	0	1	48.0	62	15	72.00
98	4	1	1	0	0	45.2	61	42	57.00
89	3	0	1	0	1	28.7	63	19	48.00