[R] understanding the verbose output in nlme

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Jun 4 20:49:48 CEST 2006

	  I don't know, but if it were my question, I think I could find
out by making local copies of the functions involved and stepping
through the algorithm line by line using "debug" (see, e.g.,
"http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/68215.html").

	  Have you read Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects Models
in S and S-Plus?  If no, I encourage you to do so.  Over the past 4
years or so, I've probably spent more time with this book and referred
more people to it than any other.  Doug Bates is a leading original
contributor in this area, and I believe you will find this book well
worth your money and  your time.

	  Regarding "the numbers under subjectno1-6", I'm guessing that
these may be the current estimates of the random effects for the first 6
of the 103 subjects.  The purpose of "verbose" is NOT to dump everything
but only enough to help you evaluate whether the algorithm seems to be
converging.

	  hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves