[R] Plotting female and male signs

Hans Gardfjell hans.gardfjell at emg.umu.se
Thu Jun 8 12:00:27 CEST 2006

Dear R-users,

Just like other users (as seen from previous posts on the list), I would
like to use female and male signs in plots. I found B. Ripley's post
about using Unicode characters. However, it doesn't works for me.

 > text(locator(1),"\u2640")  produces the following error:
Error: invalid \uxxxx sequence

But I can specify other Unicode characters as long I don't exceed 00FF,
so this works

 > text(locator(1),"\u00FF") or
 > text(locator(1),"\u00E6") and also without preceeding 00
 > text(locator(1),"\uE6")

Can someone give me a hint?
I'm using a Swedish locale on WindowsXP and my R version is 2.3.1
Patched (2006-06-04 r38279)

Thanks,

Hans Gardfjell

--