[R] binomial lmer and fixed effects

Dimitris Rizopoulos dimitris.rizopoulos at med.kuleuven.be
Fri Jun 9 16:37:42 CEST 2006

AFAIK likelihood ratio tests are preferable, especially when you're
interested in testing several fixed-effects simultaneously. However,
since in GLMMs the likelihood cannot be calculated explicitly one
could wonder how does this affect LRTs.

Adaptive Gaussian quadrature is know to provide the best
approximation; however, taking into account the random-effects
structure in your model I doubt if it'd ever convergence in this year.
Thus, I think Laplace is the best you can have in a reasonable
computing time.

Regarding `method = "ML"' I think this refers to the linear mixed
model case where you also have the option for REML (the default).

I hope it helps.

Best,
Dimitris

----
Dimitris Rizopoulos
Ph.D. Student
Biostatistical Centre
School of Public Health
Catholic University of Leuven

Address: Kapucijnenvoer 35, Leuven, Belgium
Tel: +32/(0)16/336899
Fax: +32/(0)16/337015
Web: http://med.kuleuven.be/biostat/
     http://www.student.kuleuven.be/~m0390867/dimitris.htm