[R] Chapters

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 12 08:07:08 CEST 2006

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, Marshall Feldman wrote:

> I'm surprised this isn't a FAQ, but I searched all over and could not find a
> reference to it.

I have never seen in mentioned before.  R is not an implementation of S4
as described in Chambers (1998), so I do not know where you got the idea
that was relevant.  (The methods package in R is an implementation of
something close to the class system described in that book, but R can be
used without the methods package.)

> Chambers (1998) makes repeated references to "Chapters" in S (e.g., p. 6),
> but I can find no reference to "Chapters" in R. Since Chapters were not used
> in earlier versions of S, I'm wondering if R uses them or not. If it does,
> how does one get them to work? I've been unable to do so.

The closest analogues are

1) packages
2) using different working directories.

Since R does not store objects on file and chapters are directories with
collections of stored objects (and other things, including DLLs), the
analogues cannot be very close.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk