[R] Failed library(ncdf)

Waichler, Scott R Scott.Waichler at pnl.gov
Tue Jun 13 22:05:31 CEST 2006

I am trying to use the ncdf package on a Mac OS X machine (10.4.6), but
I get the following error message:

> library(ncdf)
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
        unable to load shared library
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/ncdf/libs/ppc/ncdf.so
':

dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/ncdf/libs/ppc/n
cdf.so, 6): Symbol not found: _nc_inq
  Referenced from:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/ncdf/libs/ppc/ncdf.so
  Expected in: flat namespace
Error in library(ncdf) : .First.lib failed for 'ncdf'

In the past I have received similar messages in Linux and was able to
fix the problem by copying netCDF library and header files to
directories under /usr/local/.  But in the Mac I'm stumped and can't
figure out what to do to fix this.  I have downloaded source from netCDF
and installed it without problems, but I guess I haven't been able to
get R to see it.

Thanks for your help,

Scott Waichler
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory