[R] R kicking us out

J Dougherty jwd at surewest.net
Wed Jun 14 08:14:51 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 13 June 2006 13:00, Erin Hodgess wrote:
> Dear R People:
>
> I am using R for teaching purposes in a large classroom.
>
> Each computer has its own copy of R.
>
> However, every once in a while, about half of us will get
> thrown out of R, for no apparent reason.
>
> By the way, it has happened in other classrooms as well.
>

> Has anyone else run into this, please?
>
> If so, how have you solved this problem, please?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> R for Windows

You will need to provide a good deal more information before a useful answer
is likely.  For instance, what operating system do these computers use?  If
the computers are all running networked in a lab, is there some automatic
maintenance being run?  What hardware specifications (CPU, memory, harddisk
storage, etc.)?  What size data sets are being used?  And, more importantly,
what does "kicking you out" actually mean in terms of computer behaviour?
Does R simply crash?  When you "about half of us"  is it always the same
half?  Does it occur at the same time of day?  There are far too many
unknowns for a diagnosis.

JD