[R] replicated time series - lme?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue Mar 7 03:56:35 CET 2006

	  What are your primary research objectives?  Are you primarily
interested in a simple model of how the system evolves over time?  Or do
your 17 different series include variations in simulation conditions?

	  If I were largely interested in understanding better how the system
evolves over time, I might approach the analysis as follows:

	  1.  Make separate normal probability plots of all series.  If they
aren't normal, can I transform to normality (e.g., taking logarithms --
or using the famous Box-Cox transformation, making lambda plots as
described in VR = Venables and Ripley (2004) Modern Applied Statistics
with S, 4th ed. (Springer) and the companion MASS package for R).

	  2.  If I could get each of the 17 normal plots to look relatively
normal (possibly after a transformation), I'd then try to fit a separate
ARIMA model to each of the 17 series using acf, pacf, arima, etc., as
described in VR (see step # 1).

	  NOTE:  You do NOT want to ask lme to estimate an autoregression of
order 100.  That's nonsense.  The genius of the Box-Jenkins / ARIMA
system is that it provides a very flexible system for modeling series
with potentially very long lags with parsimoneous models expressed as
rational functions (i.e., ratios of polynomials) in the back-shift
operator.  To understand this, see any good reference on ARIMA modeling,
e.g., the original Box and Jenkins, Time Series Analysis, Forecasting
and Control.

	  3.  After you have fit parsimoneous models to the several of the 17
series, you should begin to see a pattern in what kinds of models should
fit reasonably well.  Then you can return to "lme" to look for further
patterns in how the parameters of the parsimoneous time series models
are related.

	  Does this help?
	  spencer graves