[R] To improve my understanding of workspaces

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Fri Mar 10 14:25:41 CET 2006

I use emacs and ESS to develop the scripts. The new releases of R has
the script function already in built.

Typically I keep all the data and scripts related to a project in its
own folder, so I have minimal worry about paths.

To save large and associated objects, I use
   save(x, y, z, file="lala.rda", compress=TRUE)
and then to load x, y, z in another session or workspace I use
   load("lala.rda")

To save small dataframes and matrices, I use
   write.table(mat, file="lala.txt", sep="\t")
and to read it back I use
   mat <- read.delim(file="lala.txt", row.names=1)

The problem with .RData (via quit or save.image), is that it keeps all
intermediate objects which can be unnecessarily bloated and confusing.
Further you will have difficulty distinguishing one .RData from the
other by looking at the filename alone.

Regards, Adai