[R] R GUI's on a Mac?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Mar 14 12:05:20 CET 2006

    PhGr> Anyone who responds to Berton, please, CC me: I am
    PhGr> also interested.  Best,

(but then you do read R-help, and I disagree with Berton that
 this should be answered in private only)

    PhGr> Berton Gunter wrote:
    >> Folks:
    >>
    >> A question for R users on Macs. AFAIK, R's Tcl/TK tools
    >> allow one to build GUI interfaces to R's functionality
    >> across all platforms. My question: How well do the TK
    >> widget tools work on a Mac? More specifically, is there
    >> any extra difficulty or complication in porting such
    >> applications to a Mac? Is there any special requirement
    >> for the Mac OS or version? Any glitches that should give
    >> one pause?

I'm really not the expert here,
but John Fox'  RCmdr  relies on R's tcltk package,
and it's true that people can well install R on the Mac without
Tcl/Tk capabilities --- just seen a month ago in a course we taught.

For this reason, John has added instructions (based on help from
Rob Goedman) on how to install things on the Mac :
http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/installation-notes.html

I think for Berton's question, the only necessary step is

 JFox>>> 1) Install X11.app from Apple Install disks (this is a
 JFox>>> must if you want to use any tcltk-based package with R.app).

    >> Please reply privately, as this is not of general
    >> interest to the list. Many thanks.

I disagree a bit and hence reply to R-help.

    >> -- Bert Gunter Genentech

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich