[R] The R "fork"

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Mar 18 16:56:35 CET 2006

pau carre wrote:
> Hello, I would like to call a function that can take infinite time to
> be executed in some circumstances (which can not be easily detected).
> So, I would like that once the function is being executed for more
> than two seconds it is stopped. I have found documentation for timers
> but i did not found how to "kill" a function. Moreover, I would like
> not to change the function code (it should work in all R versions and
> I want to use the default function because of the updates in its
> package).

On the one hand I do not think this is possible on all supported
platforms, on the other hand I think non-terminating algotithms can be
improved by checking number of iterations or recursion depth for some
forces termination.
You might want to ask the package maintainer to include such an
improvement (of not bugfix) in his code. The package maintainer
certainly will be happy to see your contribution.

Uwe Ligges