[R] conservative robust estimation in (nonlinear) mixed models

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Mar 24 02:32:36 CET 2006

	  Bert raised an issue I had overlooked.  Ideally, we would like to be
able to specify a different "family" for the observations and for each
random effect, with Student's t and contaminated normal as valid options
in both places.

	  If I were allowed to specify a family (or a robust family) for either
observations or for random effects but not both, I think I'd pick the
observations.  I don't know, but I wonder if misspecification of the
observation distribution might create more problems with estimation and
inference than misspecification of the distribution of a random effect.
  As Bert indicated, there may be identifiability issues here, and the
choice of a model may depend on one's hypotheses about the situation
being modeled.

	  spencer graves