[R] conservative robust estimation in (nonlinear) mixed models

dave fournier otter at otter-rsch.com
Fri Mar 24 17:38:11 CET 2006

I believe that Bert's comments are a non sequitur.
I did not and do not propose identifying which components
of the model are contaminated by outliers. What I do propose
is the more or less routine use of conservative robust methods
to replace the normal theory estimators. By definition such estimators
are to be almost as efficient as the normal theory estimators in the
case where the normal theory applies. One may argue that
conservative robust estimators do not exist for this class of
problems. I think they do, but the obvious way to establish this
claim is to carry out simulations.

Before such simulations can be carried out one must create the
software to do the analysis. So I am proposing to add that to our
R package glmmADMB. Then other R users can carry out their own
simulation analysis to investigate how the method performs.
I think that normal mixtures are better candidates for
conservative robust estimators than say Student's T distribution,
but I will try to include both (and perhaps any others that appear
useful).

      Dave

--
David A. Fournier