[R] can R be run without installation on to a computer

Marc Schwartz (via MN) mschwartz at mn.rr.com
Fri Mar 31 22:59:06 CEST 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 06:45 +1000, Bob Green wrote:
> I have been trying for a year to get approval to install R on a work
> computer and am not optimistic of a positive reply in the near future. I
> was considering whether an option might be to run R from a CD/USB stick.  I
> looked through the installation manual but could see no mention of this option.
>
> If it is possible to run R from a CD or a USB stick without installation to
> a computer, I would appreciate direction to information or advice on how
> this might be done,
>
> Any assistance is appreciated,
>
> regards
>
> Bob Green

Your e-mail headers suggest that you are on Windows, thus you might want
to review this post by Prof. Ripley in a thread from 2004 addressing
this issue:

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/41937.html

Alternatively, if you are comfortable running Linux, Dirk Eddelbuettel
has kindly provided Quantian:

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html

which is a Debian Linux based distribution that can run as a Live CD and
can be booted from the CD without having to actually install it.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz