[R] new package error message

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 10 17:07:54 CEST 2006

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Jason Liao wrote:

> Thank you very much, Prof. Ripley. This is our own package and in R
> only, no C or Fortran code. We are doing this on Windows. So it seems
> that we have to setup the complete R development system for a simple R
> package to work.

Yes, you do (well, you don't need the compilers but you need the tools and
perl).

We cannot convert help to a viewable format without perl (nor are we
likely to in the foreseeable future, help formats having been discussed
since 2001).  We probably could convert R CMD INSTALL to need only Perl
for a package with no C or Fortran code, which might be helpful.