[R] text plots?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri May 12 17:21:10 CEST 2006

[Robert Citek]

>Is there a way to do text plots in R?  I'd like to do some simple XY
>plots in R with the output in text  (ascii).  Since I connect to
>a remote Linux machine using SSH, being able to generate a rough idea
>of what a plot will look like in text would be of benefit.

Note that it is easy with SSH to open a graphics connection, you may use
"ssh -X" to force it.  Than, R will show you nice graphics even if run
remotely.

>For example, with gnuplot I can do the following:
>  echo 'set terminal dumb ; plot sin(x)' | gnuplot
>to generate a simple sin wave.  Regards,

Amusing for me that you mention this: I wrote that code, many years ago.
Despite gnuplot was aiming higher graphic output quality on average, my
contribution was readily accepted, and considered useful.

While it is possible to attach images within an email, rough graphics
is sometimes simpler and sufficient.  I do not know how easy (or not) it
would be writing a dumb device for R, but I wish that if someone ever
contributes it, it will be accepted by the core team.

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca