[R] text plots?

Kevin E. Thorpe kevin.thorpe at utoronto.ca
Fri May 12 17:40:21 CEST 2006

François Pinard wrote:
> [Robert Citek]
>
>> Is there a way to do text plots in R?  I'd like to do some simple XY
>> plots in R with the output in text  (ascii).  Since I connect to
>> a remote Linux machine using SSH, being able to generate a rough idea
>> of what a plot will look like in text would be of benefit.
>
> Note that it is easy with SSH to open a graphics connection, you may use
> "ssh -X" to force it.  Than, R will show you nice graphics even if run
> remotely.

I had forgotton about that.  I just did a quick test.  I SSHd into my
home PC from my office (it's a 455 MHz PII), started the X11() device
and ran example(xyplot).  I was suprised by the speed.  It was faster
than I expected it to be.

--
Kevin E. Thorpe
Biostatistician/Trialist, Knowledge Translation Program