[R] Parameters for loess to match results from lowess?

Stuart Leask stuart.leask at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue May 16 15:19:27 CEST 2006

I wish to reproduce a locally-weighted fit from (old-fashioned) lowess with
(new-fangled) loess.

Although ?lowess advises that loess has different defaults, does anyone know
how to set up loess so it does exactly the same as lowess did?

Fiddling about suggests setting loess(x, span = 0.8, degree=1) is fairly
close for my data - but clearly not the same.

(I can't help feeling that with something basic like this, I've probably
been unlucky in my archive/help searches so far.)

Stuart