[R] Parameters for loess to match results from lowess?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 16 16:17:17 CEST 2006

On Tue, 16 May 2006, Stuart Leask wrote:

> I wish to reproduce a locally-weighted fit from (old-fashioned) lowess with
> (new-fangled) loess.

`new-fangled': from 1991!  (That is, well before R.)

> Although ?lowess advises that loess has different defaults, does anyone know
> how to set up loess so it does exactly the same as lowess did?

It is not possible: the algorithms differ considerably in their details.

> Fiddling about suggests setting loess(x, span = 0.8, degree=1) is fairly
> close for my data - but clearly not the same.

You want family="symmetric" as well.

In determining 'local' loess() uses a tricubic weighting, lowess() uses a
uniform weighting (on reading the code).

> (I can't help feeling that with something basic like this, I've probably
> been unlucky in my archive/help searches so far.)

Did you look at the references on the help pages?  I think that is the
only place you are likely to find this explained in detail.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk