[R] How can you buy R?

Stuart Leask stuart.leask at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri May 19 09:37:20 CEST 2006

Surely the entity is saying you will only be able to use software for which
you have a valid licence. They are (rightly) worried about employees
installing pirate copies of software which, if audited, could lead to huge
fines.

While there is plenty of software for which one has to pay for such a
licence, R's licence is the GNU GPL - a completely valid and proper licence
that gives you a legal right to use it.
(If you 'buy R', my understanding is that, under its licence, all you'd be
allowed to pay for is the medium it is carried on, not the program itself.)

Stuart