[R] How can you buy R?

J Dougherty jwd at surewest.net
Fri May 19 10:22:59 CEST 2006

On Thursday 18 May 2006 14:51, Damien Joly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This may seem like a dumb question, but I work for an entity that is soon
> converting to XP across the board, and I will lose the ability to install
> software on my own.  The entity has a policy of only using software that
> has been purchased and "properly licensed" (whatever that means).
>
> This means I will soon lose the ability to use R at work - something I
> can't do without at this point.
>
> HOWEVER, I might be able to work around this policy if I can find a
> licensed software vendor, preferably in Canada, that sells R.
>
> I tried googling R vendors but was unsuccessful.
>
> Any ideas?

Well, first, have you pointed out to whatever limited neurons came up with
that specification, that this will mean that part of your job can no longer
be done because their specifications appear to rule out a key tool?

Second, R is available for windows and works quite well.  While there is no
charge for R, it IS properly licensed properly licensed under the GPL.
Theoretically, is system security is the actual issue, then the individual in
charge of software acquisition can download and install it for you.  All of
that should be clear and above board and shouldn't compromise anything unless
the "entity" you work for has become contractually constrained to avoid using
OS ware for some obscure and irrational reason.

What do they actually expect to gain from this policy?

The _expensive_ alternative is to have them purchase S-Plus for you.  If you
present them with an estimated cost and l imagine they might think having the
BOFH download R for windows for you might be the cost-effective way to go.

JD