[R] exporting long character vectors to dbf

Mulholland, Tom Tom.Mulholland at dpi.wa.gov.au
Wed May 24 03:50:30 CEST 2006

I assume this is (or was) a specification issue. I think write.dbf uses the shapefile library (C not R library) so it applies to the use of shapefiles and just happens to have been included in the foreign package because it has a generic usefullness. (Is that a word?)

Since I very rarely care about the elegance of my solutions, just that they work, I would try saving the file in another format that you can get open office to read and let it do the conversion rather than trying to get R to do it. I'm sure OpenOffice can deal with straightforward text files if that's a last resort.

Tom