[R] exporting long character vectors to dbf

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 24 06:15:48 CEST 2006

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Mulholland, Tom wrote:

> I assume this is (or was) a specification issue. I think write.dbf uses
> the shapefile library (C not R library) so it applies to the use of
> shapefiles and just happens to have been included in the foreign package
> because it has a generic usefullness. (Is that a word?)

Actually, the width of the dbf field comes from the lines in write.dbf:

         else if (is.character(x)) {
             mf <- max(nchar(x[!is.na(x)]))
             precision[i] <- min(max(nlen, mf), 254)
             scale[i] <- 0

so that's the limit (254, not 255).  This is stated as a limitation of the
dbf format at
http://www.clicketyclick.dk/databases/xbase/format/data_types.html
so I don't think you can do what you want with .dbf.

> Since I very rarely care about the elegance of my solutions, just that
> they work, I would try saving the file in another format that you can
> get open office to read and let it do the conversion rather than trying
> to get R to do it. I'm sure OpenOffice can deal with straightforward
> text files if that's a last resort.

Indeed.  Using an ODBC driver (and RODBC) to write to the database might
be a good option.