[R] R crashing on linux

Francois Pepin fpepin at cs.mcgill.ca
Thu Nov 9 17:24:57 CET 2006

Hi everyone,

I've had R crashing on rather repeatedly and I'd like to know if there's
anything to be done with it.

This is with R 2.3.0. That computer does not have R 2.4 installed on it.
This is a Linux FC4 on 64bit processor.

How to reproduce it:

1- ssh to server with X forwarding.
2- start R in a screen.
3- violently kill ssh on the client machine (in my case this is achieved
by the machine crashing and rebooting with no warning)
4- reconnect to server and reattach screen.

At this point the following message appears:

> Error: X11 fatal IO error: please save work and shut down R

Complying, I try to quit:

> q()
Save workspace image? [y/n/c]: y

 *** caught segfault ***
address 0x68, cause 'memory not mapped'

Possible actions:
1: abort (with core dump)
2: normal R exit
3: exit R without saving workspace
4: exit R saving workspace
Selection:

At this point, selecting anything other than 1 will give a repeat of the
same message. Interestingly, I do have .RData and .Rhistory with what
looks like the proper objects and commands.

I admit that this is a rather unusual situation caused by my client
machine crashing repeatedly and my trying to work around it. I figure
that R still shouldn't crash in this situation.

Should I put that as bug report and have anyone else seen this?

> sessionInfo()
Version 2.3.0 (2006-04-24)
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

attached base packages:
[1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"
"datasets"
[7] "base"

Francois