[R] Making a case for using R in Academia

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Nov 9 18:13:31 CET 2006

      I haven't followed this thread, but I suggest you not judge solely
from current and past usage, because I think R's market share is
increasing everywhere, and it's increasing the fastest in two groups:

      (1) People who are price sensitive, e.g., the professors in New
Zealand who produced the first prototype of R.

      (2) People involved in new algorithm development:  R is the
language of choice for a rapidly growing group of people involved in new
algorithm development.  If I see software that does something similar to
what I want, if it's in R, I can get the source, walk through it line by
line to see what it does and quickly modify it to see if my idea seems
to work in my application.  For commercial software, I've got to start
from scratch.  This increases the work required to learn and modify
something by at least an order of magnitude.

      Because of this latter point, I now look for an "R companion" for
technical books and articles I read:  I will learn more, faster if R
code exists than if it doesn't.

      Bottom line:  You need to prepare your students for the future,
not the past.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves