[R] confige error:X11 headres/libs

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 14 15:32:19 CET 2006

Please do as the file INSTALL asks and read the R-admin.html file.
It says

Remember that some package management systems (such as RPM and deb) make a
distinction between the user version of a package and the development
version. The latter usually has the same name but with the extension
`-devel' or `-dev': you need both versions installed.

Unless you do not want to view graphs on-screen you need `X11' installed,
including its headers and client libraries. (On Fedora Core Linux this
means the `xorg-x11-devel' and `xorg-x11-libs' RPMs, for example. Older
Linuxen used `XFree86-'. Some Debian derivatives apparently also require
`libxt-dev'.) If you really do not want these you will need to explicitly
configure R without X11, using --with-x=no.