[R] Error Message saying .Call("R_lazyLoadDBfetch", etc.

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Nov 24 17:54:35 CET 2006

Jacques VESLOT <jacques.veslot at good.ibl.fr> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I got the following error message when running a function of mine doing intensive computations:
> Erreur dans .Call("R_lazyLoadDBfetch", key, file, compressed, hook, PACKAGE = "base") :
>          référence d'argument par défaut récursive
>
> I haven't found neither where the problem lies nor what could be recursive.
>
> Besides, I wonder whether it might or not be a problem of memory size.
>
> Could you please give me any suggestion on how to interpret this message?

The prototypical situation is this

> f<-function(a=a)a
> f(2)
[1] 2
> f()
Error in f() : recursive default argument reference

The default for argument a ends up needing the value of a. This can
also happens more indirectly when multiple arguments refer to
eachother.

BTW: Is that error message proper French? Should it not be

référence récursive d'argument par défaut

or so.