[R] how do I tell configure where to find Java? [Broadcast]

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Oct 3 23:41:09 CEST 2006

Logan Lewis <lkderedhat at proxc.net> writes:

> Andy,
>
> On Tuesday 03 October 2006 3:30 pm, Liaw, Andy wrote:
> > Before I do that, I would need to remove the gcj stuff that are in
> > /usr/bin. If I know how to remove gcj, I'd gladly do that.  However, for
> > the particular version of the OS, the entire GCC seems to be bundled into
> > one rpm, and I could not remove just the gcj component.  Neither do I wish
> > to mess with files that are part of some RPMs--- in my experience that's
> > invitation for trouble later.
>
> The Red Hat way of dealing with different packages providing the same binaries
> is "alternatives".  You will see a bunch of links in /etc/alternatives, and
> the command /usr/sbin/alternatives allows you to switch between options that
> provide the same binaries.  The trouble is that the Sun JDK package does not
> interface into this system, and doesn't show up as an option when you
> execute /usr/sbin/alternatives --config java.

Hmm... I actually have it, but how did it get there?

[pd at titmouse2 R]$ /usr/sbin/alternatives --config java

There are 2 programs which provide 'java'.

  Selection    Command
   1           /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.4.2-gcj/bin/java
*+ 2           /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.5.0-sun/bin/java

Enter to keep the current selection[+], or type selection number:
failed to create /var/lib/alternatives/java.new: Permission denied