[R] Possible bug?

Ray Brownrigg Ray.Brownrigg at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Wed Oct 4 06:02:10 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 04 October 2006 14:17, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 10/3/2006 9:00 PM, ronggui wrote:
> > This morning I downloaded R-2.4.0 and install in under Windows. I
> > customized the installation and choose "Message translations",but I could
> > not launch Rgui.exe successfully( Rterm.exe worked fine). If I did't
> > choose "Message translations", Rgui.exe worked fine.
> >
> > "Message translations" is Simplified Chinese.
>
> Did you test any of the betas or release candidates?  I run an English
> language version of Windows, and I don't even get offered the chance to
> install in Simplified Chinese, so I certainly didn't test this.
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>

> 7*runif(1)
[1] 2.897160

Well, I have a (self compiled) R-2.4.0 beta (2006-09-24 r39497) which doesn't
exhibit the behaviour in the same environment (Windows XP Professional
English version but with Simplified Chinese set as the locale) that the
released R-2.4.0-win32.exe does.  [Perhaps my version didn't set up the
equivalent of  "Message translations" so this may be a red herring, but it
does output the startup message in Chinese, and error messages are also
output in Chinese.]

What happens with the release version is an error message:
"R for Windows GUI front-end has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We
are sorry for the inconvenience."  Then it offers to "Please tell Microsoft
about the problem", and if you "click here"  the error signature has:
AppName: rgui.exe	AppVer: 2.40.39566.0	ModName: r.dll
ModVer: 2.40.39566.0	Offset: 000f22b3

There is a lot more information as well, but I don't know how much is
relevant.

By "Simplified Chinese set as the locale" I mean 'Control Panel/Regional and
Language Options' with Chinese (PRC) set in 'Regional Options/Standards and
Formats' and 'Advanced/Language for non-Unicode Programs'.

[I don't rely on the Chinese environment, so this doesn't materially affect
me, but I may be able to help with diagnosis.]

Hope this helps,
Ray Brownrigg