[R] Possible bug?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Oct 4 12:42:51 CEST 2006

On 10/4/2006 12:02 AM, Ray Brownrigg wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 October 2006 14:17, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> On 10/3/2006 9:00 PM, ronggui wrote:
>>> This morning I downloaded R-2.4.0 and install in under Windows. I
>>> customized the installation and choose "Message translations",but I could
>>> not launch Rgui.exe successfully( Rterm.exe worked fine). If I did't
>>> choose "Message translations", Rgui.exe worked fine.
>>>
>>> "Message translations" is Simplified Chinese.
>> Did you test any of the betas or release candidates?  I run an English
>> language version of Windows, and I don't even get offered the chance to
>> install in Simplified Chinese, so I certainly didn't test this.
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch
>>

>> 7*runif(1)
> [1] 2.897160
>
> Well, I have a (self compiled) R-2.4.0 beta (2006-09-24 r39497) which doesn't
> exhibit the behaviour in the same environment (Windows XP Professional
> English version but with Simplified Chinese set as the locale) that the
> released R-2.4.0-win32.exe does.  [Perhaps my version didn't set up the
> equivalent of  "Message translations" so this may be a red herring, but it
> does output the startup message in Chinese, and error messages are also
> output in Chinese.]
>
> What happens with the release version is an error message:
> "R for Windows GUI front-end has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We
> are sorry for the inconvenience."  Then it offers to "Please tell Microsoft
> about the problem", and if you "click here"  the error signature has:
> AppName: rgui.exe	AppVer: 2.40.39566.0	ModName: r.dll
> ModVer: 2.40.39566.0	Offset: 000f22b3
>
> There is a lot more information as well, but I don't know how much is
> relevant.
>
> By "Simplified Chinese set as the locale" I mean 'Control Panel/Regional and
> Language Options' with Chinese (PRC) set in 'Regional Options/Standards and
> Formats' and 'Advanced/Language for non-Unicode Programs'.
>
> [I don't rely on the Chinese environment, so this doesn't materially affect
> me, but I may be able to help with diagnosis.]

Could you take a look in RHOME/modules at the file iconv.dll?  We
upgraded it to version 1.11.0.0 relatively late in the cycle; it's
possible that your successful install uses a different version.  (The
version should be available in the popup if you hover the mouse over it,
or in the properties if you right click it.)

If that's not it, then I'd guess the problem is that the installer
missed some file(s); could you compare the installed file lists from the
beta and the release, and send me a list of files that occur only in the
beta?  It's normal for that list to be fairly long, because when you
build yourself a lot of unnecessary files are left behind.

Duncan Murdoch