[R] error compiling packages with r-2.4.0 on ppc mac osx 10.4.7

Strand, Allan Edgar StrandA at cofc.edu
Sat Oct 7 19:56:12 CEST 2006

Hi All,

As the subject says, I am working on a powerPC (G4) mac with OSX version 10.4.7.
I upgraded from r-2.2.1 to r-2.4.0 today using the universal binary dmg file downloaded from CRAN. This is the complete, not mini binary.

The interactive environment works great, but I am having difficulty installing packages that require C code to be compiled. This includes my own packages and I have also tried the Matrix package.

It looks like compilation is not the problem, linking is.  In particular, when linking object files, every package install dies with this message:

/usr/bin/libtool: unknown option character `m' in: -macosx_version_min

I use fink and libtool is installed at version  1.5.10.  Clearly this looks like a configuration problem with my machine, but I am a bit confused on where to go next.  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
Allan Strand