[R] compiling rgdal package on windows / macos

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 22:06:25 CEST 2006

On Thursday 05 October 2006 02:06, Roger Bivand wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> > Greetings:
> >
> > As I am not a windows user, I cannot try this: is it possible to install
> > rgdal on windows without having to compile it from source ?
>
> Andy Jaworski already replied that rgdal Windows binaries are available
> from CRAN mirrors, thanks to Uwe Ligges.
>
> > Compilation on MacOS is within my abilities, however each time i try and
> > install the rgdal package it dies complaining that it cannot find
> > gdal-config --- which was recently installed with GRASS. I have updated
> > my PATH environment variable, logged out, but R still cannot find the
> > gdal-config program.
>
> For Mac OSX, please consult the detailed instructions on:
>
> http://www.r-project.org/Rgeo -> Maps (in the left navigation bar).
>
> Hint: see the configure.args= argument of install.packages() and use
> --with-gdal-config= to get the address right.
>
> No Mac OSX binaries will be provided from CRAN, there are simply too many
> Mac OSX varieties out there to be sure that the installed external
> software harmonises with the rgdal binary build. However, one way of
> getting there is referenced in Rgeo, using William Kyngesburye's
> frameworks (rgdal binaries are provided in harmony with PROJ.4 and GDAL).
>
> By the way:
>
> RSiteSearch("rgdal macosx")
>
> first hit takes you to a recent reply on this topic on the R-sig-geo list.
>
> > any tips on getting the rgdal package up and running on MacOS or Windows
> > would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Cheers,

Thanks Roger. i had been reading some data information in regards to the rgdal
package, and thought I would put out a question as soon as possible. Thanks
for all of the hard work!

PS: I asked this question as I am currently leading a seminar on open source
software tools for soil scientists, and wanted to highlight the GRASS-R
coupling. Since many of the students are using macs, I wanted to make sure
that I would be able to give them an example that they could implement
themselves.

Cheers,

--
Dylan Beaudette