[R] compiling rgdal package on windows / macos

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Oct 5 11:06:56 CEST 2006

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> As I am not a windows user, I cannot try this: is it possible to install
> rgdal on windows without having to compile it from source ?

Andy Jaworski already replied that rgdal Windows binaries are available
from CRAN mirrors, thanks to Uwe Ligges.

> Compilation on MacOS is within my abilities, however each time i try and
> install the rgdal package it dies complaining that it cannot find
> gdal-config --- which was recently installed with GRASS. I have updated my
> PATH environment variable, logged out, but R still cannot find the
> gdal-config program.

For Mac OSX, please consult the detailed instructions on:

http://www.r-project.org/Rgeo -> Maps (in the left navigation bar).

Hint: see the configure.args= argument of install.packages() and use
--with-gdal-config= to get the address right.

No Mac OSX binaries will be provided from CRAN, there are simply too many
Mac OSX varieties out there to be sure that the installed external
software harmonises with the rgdal binary build. However, one way of
getting there is referenced in Rgeo, using William Kyngesburye's
frameworks (rgdal binaries are provided in harmony with PROJ.4 and GDAL).

By the way:

RSiteSearch("rgdal macosx")

first hit takes you to a recent reply on this topic on the R-sig-geo list.

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no