[R] weight cases?

Adrian Dusa dusa.adrian at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 14:58:08 CEST 2006

Dear all,

This is probably a stupid question for which I have a solution, which
unfortunately is not as straighforward as I'd like. I wonder if there's a
simple way to apply a weighting variable for the cases of a dataframe (well
I'm sure there is, I just cannot find it).
My toy example:

> my.data <- data.frame(var1=c("c", "e", "a", "d", "b"),
                        var2=c("E", "B", "A", "C", "D"),
                        weight=c(1, 2, 1, 1, 1))

> table(my.data$var1, my.data$var2)

    A B C D E
  a 1 0 0 0 0
  b 0 0 0 1 0
  c 0 0 0 0 1
  d 0 0 1 0 0
  e 0 1 0 0 0

Applying the weight variable, the table should yield a value of 2 for the "eB"
combination:

> table(my.data$var1, my.data$var2)

    A B C D E
  a 1 0 0 0 0