[R] Multiple histograms in one plot

Johann Hibschman johannh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 05:14:19 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I'm trying to plot multiple histograms in one plot (cross-validation
values of model parameters), but I cannot seem to reduce the margins
enough to fit as many of them in as I would like.

I'm using split.screen to divide the window into a 5x4 grid, then
plotting with hist.  I've tried explicitly reducing the margins with
par(mar=c(1,1,1,1)), but it doesn't seem to have any effect.
Visually, there is a lot of whitespace and very little histogram in my
results.

Can anyone suggest either a better method to visualize these results,
a better way to plot histograms, or a way to actually reduce the
margins used?  The intent is to give a sense of how well-constrained
the various model parameters are.

Thanks,

Johann