[R] nonlinear least squares fitting Trust-Region"

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Sep 2 11:51:03 CEST 2006

I believe people (including me) did not reply because you appeared not to
have done your homework.  The help page for ?nls _does_ have a reference
to the 'port' documentation, and RSiteSearch("trust region") is
informative and leads to an R package that does trust-region optimization.
(So would looking in the R FAQ.)

You say:

> Since I am not an expert in the field of optimization, I am just
> conforming to what matlab documentation

Please note that some of the R developers are really expert in that area,
and their advice (in the R documentation) should be taken as seriously as
that in some commercial package that is merely commenting about the very
sparse choice it offers.  Or if R is not in your personal trust region,
just use 'matlab'.

Please

1) do not shout at your helpers: using all caps is regarded as shouting.

2) study and follow the posting guide.  People are much more likely to
help you if you demonstrate you have made efforts to help yourself.

3) read the literature.  The R FAQ leads to books that cover fitting
non-linear models in S/R in considerable detail.

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006, Martin Ivanov wrote:

> Dear Mr Graves,

> Thank you very much for your response. Nobody else from this mailing
> list ventured to reply to me for the two weeks since I posted my
> question. "nlminb" and "optim" are just optimization procedures. What I
> need is not just optimization, but a nonlinear CURVE FITTING procedure.

Which is just optimization: usually by least squares (although you have
not actually specified that and there are better modern statistical
ideas).